Wednesday, June 24, 2009

what's in store for me?

I was privileged today to have the opportunity to learn some important historical events in Oklahoma’s black history. I gain knowledge about the sunset laws and the slow integration of schools in the area. Tutoring the law school building was a treat in itself. Law school however never really crossed my mind when choosing a pathway to a career. I always was urge to go to business school because of the opportunities I could obtain by earning a business degree. Pharmacy school or majoring in nutrition was a practical route at one time but law school seemed to be out of reach.

 

 After today, I confirmed my view that law school was for dedicated students due to its intensity. Since I didn’t have my mind on a specific career such as a teacher or engineer, I started my college career as a business major as my dad guided me to do. However business school was more difficult than I had originally expected.  I made D’s in two crucial classes that would ensure my success at the business school.  Since I would have to retake the basis business courses and earn an A,  I changed my major to Public Relations. Also at this time I was expecting a baby boy and my main objective was to succeed in a field, graduate and enter the workforce to provide for my son.  I was not necessarily taking the easy way out but I understood that taking and retaking the same courses until I met a certain GPA was going to prolong my graduation date.

 

I pictured my life in the future and set out some practical goals I certainly intend to reach.

 

In 20 years, I see myself happily married to my current boyfriend. I strive to have a career in Business Administration where it is possible for me to make my own schedule while working in a stress free environment. I want to be very well off to the point where I can focus my attention to a non-profit organization and still live in a comfortable lifestyle. My son will be in college on his own pathway to a career of his choice.

 

In 10 year, I will be working for my dad in business administration in Houston after graduating which a Public Relations degree in December of 2010. I would have like to venture to Africa and France and learn the their language and way of life.

 

In 1 year, I will be 4 months away from earn my Public Relations degree. I aim to be a better public speaker and to take more interest in the world around me. I target to gain professional skills and be more versatile. My son will be almost two! I strive to give him the privileges I had growing up.

1 comment: